Teaching Opportunity at Huaqiao University
The Department of Writing, Rhetoric, and Discourse has a standing relationship with the English Department at Huaqiao University in Xiamen/Quanzhou, China. This is part of a larger relationship that DePaul has been building with Huaqiao since 2012. As a result of visits to Huaqiao University by WRD Chair Pete Vandenberg and the Coordinator of WRD’s Graduate TESOL Certificate, Jason Schneider, the two departments established a direct pathway in 2014 for DePaul students who complete the Graduate Certificate in TESOL to teach Writing and ESL in China. A DePaul graduate taught at Huaqiao University for the 2014-2015 academic year, and another one is teaching for the 2015-2016 academic year. We are currently taking applications for 2016-2017. Graduates of the TESOL Certificate will be preferred applicants for one-year teaching appointments in the Huaqiao English Department.
Teaching at Huaqiao offers an excellent opportunity to participate in the partnership between the two departments, which has continued to grow over the last two years. WRD supported Visiting Scholar Yangping Zeng during her stay at DePaul in 2014-2015, and WRD Instructor Amy Hornat-Kaval led classes at Huaqiao in 2015. For recent TESOL Certificate graduates, a full-time university position in China can be a strong foundation for the U.S. college teaching market or doctoral study in a range of disciplines. Furthermore, spending time working and living abroad can be an invaluable personal experience and is seen as an asset by employers in many sectors.
One-year English teaching appointments include:
- 14 hours of teaching per week
- Competitive salary
- International and domestic travel allowance
- Free single-occupancy living accommodations
- Medical insurance
- Paid winter break
Apply for a 2016-17 Teaching Appointment
To be considered for a 2016-17 teaching appointment at Huaqiao, applicants should plan to complete and submit the following materials no later than March 10th:
- A letter of application—approximately 300 to 400 words—in which you explain your commitment to teach at Huaqiao for one year and foreground your training and experience to do so; the letter should also indicate that you are eligible to apply for a Chinese (Z) work visa, and that you will complete the visa application process on receipt of an Employment Permit and Visa Notification Letter
- A current CV (or academic resume), which clearly shows the anticipated graduation date for any program of study in progress
- A recent physical exam and the completed exam form (download here)
- A valid passport that is not dated to expire before 1/1/18. If you do not have a passport or yours expires before this date, you are strongly encouraged to apply for one immediately. Please send a copy of the first page.
All application materials should be submitted via email to wrd[at]depaul.edu (Subject: Last Name – Huaqiao Teaching Application) by March 10, 2016.
Professor Jason Schneider and Professor Peter Vandenberg will submit applications directly to Huaqiao’s English department. The 2016-17 academic year at Huaqiao begins in August.
Please send any questions to Prof. Jason Schneider at jschne12[at]depaul.edu